Smooth Directory is a simple way to add a business directory to a WordPress site. The public view of the directory is a simple, responsive two-column view, while the WP admin is extremely easy to use.
The plugin is ready to start using right out of the box by navigating to /businesses and is easily extendable by developers by overwriting the two public facing templates and styles.
The directory comes with built-in pagination, category filtering and alphabet filtering.
There are quite a few WordPress directory plugins, but if you’re looking for a responsive, easy to get going (and easy for clients to manage) business directory plugin, Smooth Directory will work great for you!
- Customizable colors
- Easily extendable
- Ability to add categories
- Category filtering
- Alphabet filtering
- Uses custom post types and metadata, which makes creating your own theme very straightforward
- Allows the display of a business name, contact, location, address, phone, website, email, description and image
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- How can I modify the templates?
There are two templates that you can overwrite:
archive-businesses.php(the main directory template) and
taxonomy-business_category.php(the template shown when a category is selected). The best way to do this is to copy those two files from the plugin (located at
smooth-directory/public/) to the root directory in your theme and then modifying them from there.
- Can I have multiple directories?
No. Currently, only one directory with the slug
Contributors & Developers
“Smooth Directory” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Add single page template
- Add hyperlinks for website
- Use featured image instead of meta value
- Add screenshots
- Initial release